A Great Political Music Recommendation



The other day I found a really good album I'd like to share with you. It's called A Prairie Home Invasion and it was done by former Dead Kennedys singer Jello Biafra, and pyschobilly artist Mojo Nixon. The album was released in 1994, and parodies the famous show "Prairie House Companion". It is the sarcastic political satire that I've come to know and love from the Dead Kennedys. Some of the songs on the album are actually covers, and Jello Biafra singing them makes me laugh.

When I showed Lauren a few songs off the album, she mentioned that Jello Biafra sounds like a goat. I agree, but it works for satirical reasons. When you have songs like "Plastic Jesus" that parody revivalism, it adds to the satire. Another great song on this album is "Love Me, I'm Liberal", which is a cover of a protest song by Phil Ochs.

Although Jello Biafra is a bit crazy at times in his actual politics (he's a member of the Green Party), but I really appreciate his satire. It's an art that is very difficult to do well, and this album embodies this art. Jello has an uncanny ability to use satire effectively, even in his spoken word work. The album is very catchy with a folk/psychobilly sound. It's strange to hear Jello singing to non-Punk music, but it works very well.



No Response to "A Great Political Music Recommendation"

Leave a Reply

 
powered by Blogger | For Blogservices